Thursday, October 07, 2004

Aunt Sarah.JPG


Aunt Sarah.JPG
Originally uploaded by juststeve.
Aunt Sarah's Visit.

We loved our visit from Aunt Sarah!!! She came during the week and then went to Venice. When she came back we played with her on the weekend. On Saturday, Lizy, Dad, Sarah, and I took the bus to Siena. Siena is the closest big town to Florence and it sounds like they fought a lot. All the little towns around have been taken over by Florence, then by Siena, then by Florence. Siena is really beautiful and much quieter than crazy Florence that always has busses wizzing by and lots of people. We did a lot there. It was much colder than we thought it would be, so right after we got off the bus we searched for sweatshirts for me and Lizy, daddy and Sarah just got to stay cold. We found bright red ones. Then we went into the old town. The streets go around in circles. There is a big church, like the Duomo, near our apartment in Florence. This one was fancier on the outside and had lots of great paintings inside. My favorite was a room with illuminated manuscripts around all the walls. I guess to get copies of books they needed to copy them by hand - many monks did this. Some of them were really good at drawing.

We also climbed another tower. This was the tallest yet. It is the second tallest in Italy. It kept going up and up. We would think we were at the top and then there would be another level, and then we would think we were at the top and there would be another level and… From the top, we could see all over.

On Sunday, we first went into the Baptistry which is a building right next to the Duomo where all the kids in Florence used to be baptized: that is dipping them in water to clean them and make them members of the church. I listened to a tape that told me about the building. The ceiling has lots of pictures on it, made out of little pieces of glass. It is called mosaics. I liked a picture of a boat in the sea and all the angels with wings. Lizy liked the picture of an ugly beast eating people.

Then we all went to Fiesole, the smaller town on hill near Florence where we had done our painting before. We can take the bus there from right near our house. It is nice because you can see Florence and lots of other things from a view in the park. We did some more painting. I painted the domes of the Duomo. We also went to some Roman ruins. There is an amphitheater that is still used even though it was built way back in the Roman times. I've been reading mystery stories about ancient Rome and I can't wait to visit Rome. There were also ruins of Roman baths and a temple. Lizy and I played in them, sang songs, and danced. Then we took the bus back home. Like most nights with Aunt Sarah, we played lots of Uno and got gelato we found the best place so far - Vivoli's. It has blueberry and fruit salad flavors!

The week was exciting for me because I ran for student council at school. I had to make a speech. It was scary but I practiced and practiced. Only two people from each grade get to be on the council. I didn't get to be a regular member but I came in next so I'm the alternate. That's good too.


Sarah left. We miss her.

Comments:
Rhea-

I miss you and Lizy, too. I had a GREAT time visiting. Italy is a very special place.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?