Monday, October 25, 2004

Saturday October 23rd


DSC_2285.JPG
Originally uploaded by juststeve.
Today was our last full day in Venice. I am sad about that. I will miss my pigeons. After getting ready, we went to the Doge’s Palace, (the old government building) The ceilings were gold and sometimes had paintings on them. If you looked carefully you could see a lot of different animal “sculptures” on the ceiling. Then we crossed the “Bridge of Sighs,” a bridge where prisoners would walk across to court. It is called the bridges of sighs because when the prisoners crossed the bridge they would sigh, either because they would see the sky for the first time in a long time, or because they were about to go to court and didn’t want to. First I thought the Bridge of Sighs was the Bridge of Size, that didn’t make sense. We walked through the prison. We saw the cells. I would not like to be locked up there.

Then we took the vapporeto to a big church. People were getting ready for a film. Before lunch, Annie and Poppop and Dad pretended to be in a restaurant and Eliza and I were the waiters. We tried to talk in Italian, but we had to ask Annie what things are a lot. Then we had lunch. I had pepperoni pizza. Lizy had cheese and dad had artichoke. We drew pictures by the church. After that we took a vapperetto to a park. Lizy and I played that we were poor people and lizy worked for farms. She had to try different farms to find one that she wanted to work for. It was fun.

Before dinner we went on a gondola. I went with only mom and dad. Our gondolier had a red and white striped shirt and a straw hat with a red ribbon. Our gondola was black with gold mermaids. There was a red checked couch which I sat on with mommy and daddy. It felt rocky on the gondola. We went down little alleys and under many bridges including the Bridge of Sighs. It was very peaceful. I didn’t want it to end.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?